Monday, September 2, 2013

The COP problem. (Malaysia)


Before I start my long rant, meet Sheeva. She'll make you smile. She's my baby iguana. Named after the Mortal Kombat character.

What our Malaysian police really are, are bullies. Big fat PB and J doughnut-eating ones. 

I have reasons aplenty as to why I say this. 

Why I'd say our Malaysian cops are not doing their jobs right.

1. The N case. My friend, N (an international student) was around the KLCC area one fine day. He just so happened to park in a wrong spot. To his dismay, the police came to "talk to him". They told him to get rid of the Malay friends he had with him. So, as soon as the Malay friends were out of earshot distance, they asked him, "how much??". And his response was, "I'm sorry, I don't understand". Why of course, in this poor lad's eyes, he had done no wrong. So they set the ball rolling and in the end, arrested N for no apparent reason just because he simply didn't want to bribe them for something he had not done. His reason was, "I am Muslim. Bribery is frowned upon in Islam" and trust me, that line angered the police to hell and back. (The policemen were Muslims themselves.) To cut a terribly long story short, the police locked him up for 2 weeks and he lost a total of more than 10 kilos in that short span of time and his mum had to fly in to "beg and grovel for mercy"; they were horridly rude to her though. He lost a total of 10 000 Malaysian Ringgit and more than 10 kilos of body mass. He was traumatized. I can go on and on about basic human rights which N was completely and utterly denied of but that would be rather time-consuming.

2. The police are usually not allowed into private property without warrants. I was also raised up by very intelligent people who told me about 'human rights'. 

This happened 4 years ago when we were having a jolly good hangout with friends and music. (No international students involved here.) The police came around 2 am and started yelling at us from the gate. My friend handled the crisis pretty well and told all of us to stay in. She went out to talk to him. He told her that he got complains from our neighbours (our neighbours had not bee around for more than 2 weeks, it was a student community and we were almost the only ones left there, it was a ghost town, practically) stating that we were making too much noise.

He radioed for backup (cowardly, of course) and almost instantly, a few more cops appeared. They raided our house, demanding for our ICs and every other documentation we had on us. 

Human right number one. The police cannot barge into a private house WITHOUT a warrant.

Human right number two. The police cannot simply confiscate OR demand for our ICs without warrants AS we are in a private house.

Human right number three. Women are not allowed to follow male officers back to ANY police station before 6 am. Women are not to be arrested unless there is a female officer present at the time of arrest.

This stupid cop just said, "Ikut saya. Jangan buat hal. Saya kata awak ikut, ikut. Jangan nak buat kecoh."

Translation: Follow me. Don't cause a scene. I tell you to follow me, just follow me. Don't create trouble.

And the majority of us in the house were girls. With our ICs confiscated. For no reason. I requested for a female officer to be present. He told me, "we don't have one at the moment. Not our problem."

Such attitude. They only stopped harassing us when one of my friend's boyfriends came and helped us out by making a call. (To a person of higher authority I presume.) That was a rather traumatizing incident too. The policemen looked bored and very horny (if I may say); most of us were girls. You can be the judge of it. 

3. I have been stopped various times at roadblocks especially around the Kuala Dipang and Kampar areas. I think the police there have very shallow mentalities and are oftentimes bored and think with their little heads down there. I produce my IC along with everything else necessary and THEY STILL STOP ME FOR A LITTLE CHAT. I usually don't get down from the car and they hover around, asking me questions that are not job-related and also rather too personal. I loathe their existence. I always felt a little or rather very disturbed by that particular group of policemen around the Kuala Dipang, Kampar area. 

4. Another foreign friend of mine got beaten up mighty bad on National Day. He was with his Malaysian friends when that happened and they couldn't help him. They were overpowered. They took him to the nearest police station to make a police report however but they told him it was his fault. "Itu masalah kamu bukan kitorang punya pasal." The Malaysian mentality.

You see, I'm not saying ALL coppers are bad per se. It's just that the majority of them really give ALL of them a bad name here. It's too bad, really.

I have severe trust issues when it comes to cops. And these are my reasons. I have many more but these could sum everything up in a nutshell.

The beauties of corruption have hit them hard and to rid THAT problem, we need an "ethnic cleansing" sort of, if I may say.

-Moon-






No comments:

Post a Comment