Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sakineh, stoning, kittens and freedom.



Jack and I.

Everything is funny in their own ways.

Much happens and we all can't do much. I saw a pretty little kitten at dinner just now. I was so happy my dad came back :) (He travels a lot, he works overseas quite often.) So yeah, had dinner and this pretty thing. My sister started feeding it because it was mewing so loudly. It was blind in both eyes. Such a sad sight :( I wish I would have taken her home. But I have two dogs and they'd be jealous. Sigh* I'm not sure if the kitten was blind or if it was an infection in both its eyes :/

Sigh* That was what I wrote last night by the way :P I used to keep a journal but yeah, it's a cyber cult right now :P

I'm having queasy insides over Sakineh. I'm very into what's happening in Iran currently. The media moguls and the rage that they generated and sparked. The Iran media (newspaper I think) actually called the France's beautiful First Lady Carla Bruni Sarkozy a prostitute!! All because she wanted to help Sakineh Ashtiani who is subjected to a horrific death by stoning. Her son also said that the accusations against her were untrue. How then can her people continue turning against her??

I know this is an issue I harp on a lot but then again, it's an issue that is very controversial and not something that can be dealt with overnight. Women in Iran NEED a voice too. They have no freedom of speech and choice and are so bound by overtly zealous communities that twist and contort the matter of religion out of hand. Like the case of Soraya M. which I have mentioned before. Sakineh might just be yet another victim, victimized by angry raging humans who don't think straight anymore. Anger, it eats you up like a rot in the gut. It just seeps in and takes over everything else, all other inhibitions.

I'm going to post a picture of a mock stoning. (Warning: It may not be for the faint-hearted.)



A demonstrator joins Iranian exiles protesting against the possible stoning of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani in Iran in front of Berlin's Brandenburg Gate on 5 August. Photograph: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

So here, a picture I've taken from the Guradian.co.uk, an online newspaper.

Mohammadi Ashtiani, a 43-year-old mother of two, was flogged 99 times for having an "illicit relationship outside marriage" in 2006 but another court reviewed her case after her husband was murdered. She was acquitted of murder but found guilty of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning. (Part of the newspaper's article on Sakineh.)

Right now, the Vatican are trying to help her, they are actually granting her asylum, pleading for her release. It's really an upsetting issue when France and Brazil were totally cut off in a very rude and abrupt manner. And the Iranian newspaper amplified things by creating another issue out of Carla Bruni.

A woman's life is at stake, she is being accused and denied the rights to be heard. A lot of countries are campaigning right now for her release. Sigh* I really hope it stops. I mean, the stoning ritual. ALL these are mindless. It's disgusting. I watched one and I bawled my eyes out. It's a very gory ritual and the woman is stripped of all dignity and pride.

All in all, my harping has to stop :) I just hope that women will have a platform to rise up on especially women who are oppressed by strict and unreasonable governing.

All my love,
Shia.

No comments:

Post a Comment